An Introduction...

Welcome to my new blogspot...and to start, a little about my journey here...

I have a background in costume design and I have been making dolls for many years. My recent creations have been cloth dolls inspired by antique dolls and my family history (another of my favourite pastimes). I also love creating anything with fabric and I'm enjoying experimenting with different styles and designing unique items.

In this blog I will share doll info, tips and tricks that I have learnt over the years and also pics and even a few patterns, so please check back often to see what's new....

Thursday 20 May 2010

To glue or not to glue?...that is the question!!


I'm often asked about attaching doll's heads to bodies and my simple answer is if you can avoid it DON'T GLUE !!
Most china heads have holes for attaching and the simplest way is to run a cotton tape (or ribbon) through the holes, pin the tapes in place on the body and sew. This way the head is secure, but doesn't have to be permanent, particularly for antique heads with reproduction bodies, sewing in place leaves the option to change the body to an antique one should it become available. This particular head (a beautiful Kobberman repro) has three sew holes front and back, though it's more common to find heads with just two holes front and back.

1 comment:

  1. Yes...I agreee with you , definitely sew. The bodies on chinas were often replaced in the past, the heads were sewn to the bodies not glued. If a doll belonged to a sick child, that took her dolly to bed with her, after the illness had passed the doll bodies were usually butned and replaced by new ones. Very rarely you find a china head with its original body, hence the holes for attaching a new one. That is a very nice repro.
    Hugs
    Marta

    ReplyDelete